It’s news that has rocked the great British public to its core and it seems as though the bad tidings are going to keep on coming where The Great British Bake Off is concerned… beloved presenters Sue Perkins and Mel Giedroyc have confirmed that they will no longer be part of the popular show after it moves to Channel 4 next year.

Channel 4 reportedly paid an incredible £25 million to pinch the programme from the BBC, but the news certainly hasn’t gone down well with, well, anyone really.

In a statement, Mel and Sue said they “made no secret of our desire for the show to remain where it was… we’re not going with the dough. The BBC nurtured the show from its infancy and helped give it its distinctive warmth and charm, growing it from an audience of two million to nearly 15 at its peak. We’ve had the most amazing time on Bake Off and have loved seeing it rise and rise like a pair of yeasted Latvian baps. We’re not going with the dough. We wish all the future bakers every success”.

Earlier this week (September 12th), Mary Berry’s husband told media sources that Mary herself wouldn’t be moving to Channel 4 with the show either, although the cooking queen is yet to corroborate this. Paul Hollywood, meanwhile, has said he’ll most likely remain as a judge… so there will be at least one familiar face when the show starts on Channel 4 next year.

Safe to say, however, that the online reactions to the news weren’t particularly favourable. The hashtag #Breadxit was trending on Twitter on Tuesday afternoon, and some of the responses really were quite funny. Claire Davis, for example, tweeted: “It’s fine. Nothing will actually happen until Mary Berry triggers Arctic Roll 50. #Breadxit #GBBO.” And Rachel Ward tweeted: “A #GBBO with adverts is not a world I want to raise children in.”

The news certainly shocked us here at Simply Oilcloth, but we’re not ones to judge prematurely and are still looking forward to seeing what direction Channel 4 takes the Bake Off in come next year. Fingers crossed that Mary Berry does decide to stay on board, however, since it simply wouldn’t be the same without her.

We know just how inspirational the programme actually is and often hear from our customers who say they’ve been inspired to get out their large round tablecloths and bake up a storm along with the contestants, and it’ll be such a shame if this stops. Let’s just all wait and see how this particular story develops and then make up our minds as to whether or not the integrity of the show has been preserved. We await 2017 with eager interest!